An African-American Memphis woman claims that her doctor recently used an offensive racial slur when he greeted her in his office.
Follow Boom 94.5 On Twitter: Follow @Boom945DFW
According to WMC Action News, Lexi Carter says that on July 11 her doctor, Dr. James Turner, walked in and allegedly said to her, “Hi Aunt Jemima.”
“I was just sitting there waiting to be seen and he walked in,” Carter told the news outlet. “He had a young girl, physician’s assistant trainee, a student with him and he looked at me and he goes ‘Hi Aunt Jemima.’”
Shocked and offended, Carter says that Turner didn’t apologize for his problematic comments. And to make matters even worse: She claims that he said it to her a second time.
Carter stressed to WMC that what Turner said was racist and insulting.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
“It was an insult, racial ethnic insult, a joke. It’s putting me on a level of someone who is subservient with a smile—kind of step and fetch it. It was very derogatory, very demeaning. Especially for someone who prides myself in being none of that.
Carter also shared how his words have affected her.
“I haven’t slept. I haven’t–I haven’t really been able to deal with this. It’s just the most horrible feeling really and I try to understand it and I don’t understand it.”
Turner admitted to the news outlet that he did indeed call Carter “Aunt Jemima,” but denies that he never apologized. In a statement, Turner wrote:
“Ms. Carter is one of our very dear patients and has been for years. She is one of many African American patients and I count it a privilege to be their doctor. Anything I said that tarnishes that image and my respect for her was a misspoken blunder on my part and was not intended to show disrespect for Ms. Carter. I am very sorry for that misunderstanding.”
Look: To call someone “Aunt Jemima” at all—let alone twice—isn’t “mispeaking,” nor is it a “misunderstanding.” It’s 2017, and we all should understand the racial implications of this stereotypical slave character and how it degrades Black women.
It seems that Carter isn’t trying to hear his “late” apology either and has plans to file a formal complaint with the state medical board.
And We Thought We Came So Far: The Most Racist Moments Of 2014
1. Artie Lange’s Racist & Sexist Tweet1 of 21
2. Sephora Singles Out Asian Customers2 of 21
3. Twitter Racists Hate The “New Annie”3 of 21
4. People Magazine’s Lame HTGAWM Tweet4 of 21
5. Fergson Protestors Labeled ‘Animals’5 of 21
6. Huffington Post’s Really Uncomfortable “Once You Go Black” List6 of 21
7. Ebola7 of 21
8. Fraternity Uses Dark-Skinned Blow Up Doll As Beyonce Sex Doll8 of 21
9. Sony’s Racist Emails9 of 21
10. New Hampshire Police Commissioner Calls Obama The N-Word10 of 21
11. Racist Halloween Costumes11 of 21
12. Richard Sherman Gets Called a ‘Thug’ By Media12 of 21
13. Watermelon Toothpaste Cartoon Featuring Obama13 of 21
14. Shonda Rhimes Labeled “Angry Black Woman” By NYT14 of 21
15. Donald Sterling’s Rant15 of 21
16. Bill O’Reilly16 of 21
17. John Boyega Responds To Racist Star Wars Fans17 of 21
18. Don Lemon Being Don Lemon18 of 21
19. New York Times Called Michael Brown ‘No Angel’19 of 21
20. Booker T. Washington Walkout20 of 21
21. Racist Stripper Goes On ‘N-Word’ Rant21 of 21